Thursday, January 31, 2008

Top Ten 7" Singles of 2007...

There's no big lead-up. Just check out these singles with utmost speed.

Also, there's some Blackwell-penned reviews in the new (Mc5 on the cover) issue of Ugly Things. Visiting here means you may actually really like what I write and/or trust my opinion, so check out my reviews of Leadbelly, Panciera's 45 Revolutions book, the Patron Saints, the Home Schooled comp on Numero Group, the deceptively awesome Holding a Dream comp on Boss-A-Tone and Nathaniel Mayer's Love and Affection comp on Vampi Soul. I'm honestly proud of those reviews and they're were sincerely slaved over to reach an impossible deadline so the least you can do is grab a copy at Borders and leaf through it for 5 minutes. Come on...you owe me.


1. Wolf People "October Fires" Battered Ornaments
What I look for in the best single of the year is something that totally catches me off-guard. I already knew how awesome Brian Olive, Tyvek and Jay Reatard were at the beginning of '07, but to basically stumble upon the Wolf People 7" at Rockit Scientist and paying an absurd $12 for the import single was pure luck for me. I bought it blindly and was wildly rewarded. As I said in MT, it wonderfully combines the best of everything that was happening in England in the late 60's. And the striking, beautiful artwork and attention to detail easily makes Battered Ornaments a label that I will buy every new release sight-unseen. My highest stamp of approval.

2. Brian Olive "See Me Mariona" Fitzrovian Phonographic
Like you didn't know? Olive's got to be sitting on mounds of stuff as stellar as this medium-psych scorch.

3. Tyvek "Summer Burns 2x7" What's Your Rupture?
I typically frown upon the double seven-inch format, but only savants such as Tyvek can transform that into a shit-eating grin. The new kings of Detroit and they don't even know it.

4. Jay Reatard "I Know a Place" Goner Records
It's as if after years of whatever you choose to call the Reatards/Lost Sound endeavours, Jay has fallend ass-backwards into hit-after-poptacular hit in his solo incarnation. See also his "Hammer, I Miss You" and P-Trash 7" as proof that every single he does, no matter how miniscule the pressing or obscure the label, is a fucking gem.

5. The Tall Birds "Action" Shake Appeal
Simply put, a refreshing rock band. Can't say they're doing anything new, and yet, can't say there's any band that would prove an apt comparison for the Tall Birds.

6. Noot D'Noot "Jiggle City" Solutionist Records
A funk-fried stumbled-upon 7" from the Selmenaires merch table. Little did I know how unforgettable the wobbly-junk would prove.

7. The Duchess & the Duke "Reservoir Park" Boom Boom Castle
Seldom if never does the acoustic guitar/vocal combination move me. The D&D do it right and it's as if for the duration of this one single that the sun is shining solely for me.

8. Ultimate Ovation "It's the Weekend" Eleganza
Long-forgotten Detroit vocal group backed by some of Detroit's best rockers turn out a slice of 70's funk that exceeds the highest of expectations.

9. Frustrations "Exploding Mind" Die Stasi
Seriously, when Dunkerly slops it out on that half-time breakdown, it's like the shit in my intestine momentarily turns into pure opiates and I'm rendered wowed.

10. Whirlwind Heat with Lightspeed Champion Lightspeed Heat Brille
I'm fully indoctrinated in the Heat's brain-cult and "How Do You Do?" is unparalleled, woozy git-pop par excellance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's almost impossible to come up with a final list of just ten 7" singles for the year. I say 'just' but right at this second I can hardly think of hardly any off the top of my head.

from your list I own and like Reatard, Tyvek, Tall Birds and Whirlwind/Lightspeed.

I have investigated Wolf People after you mentioned them elsewhere but weren't quite as blown away.

I don't really know the others...yet.

my 7"s of 2007 would defintely include.

'Damn Shames - Fear of Assault'

The Pissed Jeans sub pop record was brilliant. And Cass-Wise I really love Lee Marvin and Tin Knocker.

what a poor effort, sorry. I've had days to think about this. ok, I'm lacking in inspiration here and I'm tired.