Thursday, January 29, 2009

MFIC: A Closer Look at the Musical Taste of Detroit Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr...

I'll forgive the guy for spelling Pasty Cline's name wrong, not including a thunderbolt in listing those guys who wrote "Dirty Deeds: Done Dirt Cheap" and adding an unnecessary "e" for Alicia Keys. Otherwise, I don't think Detroit has ever been in more-capable hands. Did he seriously just name drop Gang of Four and Black Flag? The last band on his list ain't too shabby either. Taken from his questionnaire posted at www.metrotimes.com/news/story.asp?id=13664 and I haven't felt so happy in quite some time.

"I like too (much) music to pick a favorite but if I was stuck on a desert island I'd want an Ipod loaded with a generous helping of Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Johnny Cash (especially "At Folsom Prison"), Patsy Kline(sic), Marvin Gaye, Pink Floyd, the Who, ACDC, Peter Frampton (specifically "Frampton Comes Alive"), Foghat, The Clash, Gang of Four, Joy Division, New Order, Black Flag, Public Enemy ("Fear of a Black Planet" changed my life), Ice Cube, Run DMC, Tupac, DMX, Jay Z, Notorious B.I.G., Moby, The Chemical Brothers, DJ Shadow, The Crystal Method, Lil Jon and the East Side Boys, Alicia Keyes, Jill Scott, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and last but not least Detroit's own Dirtbombs."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Where's the Lightning bolt on your Keyboard? I sure don't have one.. Unless of course you have a German typewriter circa WWII and just filed down the "SS" key...

Congrats on the mention!

Anonymous said...

I love that list, quite a few people are mentioned but all the emphasis is on the dirtbombs. it's the big finish.

that is one seriously cool mayor.

Anonymous said...

you're mayor is pimp

AC↔DC

Unknown said...

How did I never see that?

haha, foghat.

at first I thought "public enemy" was "public image ltd." Close enough.